Often small business buyers wonder about this. There is an all too frequent buyer attitude that says “If it is a good business they wouldn’t be willing to sell it to me!”
Here are some reasons we see business owner want to sell:
- Divorce of husband and wife owners
- Partnership disputes
- Owner health issues
- Kids don’t want the business and the owner has gotten to retirement age.
- The business has gotten bigger than the skills of the owner
- The business needs professional management
- The industry is changing faster than the owner wants to change (in this case the owner is always convinced the market is wrong and he is right).
- The business is totally debt free and the owner doesn’t want to take on debt to grow.
There are many other reasons that make sense to the seller, even if it doesn’t always make sense to the buyer. the tricky part is, because confidentiality is so important it takes some work to locate a good business to buy. Finding a good business for sale and buying it from a seller who has a good reason to sell could be a formula for success in a business acquisition.